Rooibos tea also boasts the following benefits:
- Rooibos tea is rich in antioxidants and flavonoids. The antioxidants in Rooibos tea limits the effect free radicals (a by-product of abnormal cell function) in the process of ageing and a declining immune system is limited by the antioxidants in Rooibos tea.
- Rooibos tea is completely pure and natural as it contains no additives, preservatives or colourants. It is a soothing drink for people on a calorie-restricted diet, without adding kilojoules.
- Rooibos tea is also strongly recommended for people suffering from irritability, headaches, disturbed sleeping patterns, insomnia, nervous tension, mild depression or hypertension. Rooibos tea contains no caffeine and therefore has a soothing effect on the central nervous system. Rooibos tea is also low in tannins and therefore does not have a negative effect on the absorption of iron and proteins by the body.
- Rooibos tea has anti-spasmodic properties, thus relieving stomach cramps and colic in infants. Rooibos tea can also help to relieve stomach and digestive problems like nausea, vomiting, heartburn, stomach ulcers and constipation.
- Rooibos tea also supplements the daily amounts of calcium, manganese and especially fluoride, needed for the development of strong teeth and bones. It contains zinc and alpha-hydroxy acid, which promotes healthy skin, and magnesium, which is necessary for a healthy nervous system.
- Rooibos tea has a soothing effect on the skin, relieving itching and certain skin irritations like eczema, nappy rash and acne when directly applied to the affected area.